On 19 Jan 2015, at 17:53, Quincey Morris <quinceymor...@rivergatesoftware.com>
wrote:

> On Jan 19, 2015, at 04:02 , Kevin Meaney <k...@yvs.eu.com> wrote:
>>
>> What I'd like to be able to do is to compare profiles obtained this way with
>> what I think must be AVFoundation's equivalent e.g.:
>>
>>            AVVideoColorPropertiesKey : [
>>                AVVideoColorPrimariesKey : AVVideoColorPrimaries_ITU_R_709_2,
>>                AVVideoTransferFunctionKey :
>> AVVideoTransferFunction_ITU_R_709_2,
>>                AVVideoYCbCrMatrixKey : AVVideoYCbCrMatrix_ITU_R_601_4
>>            ],
>>
>> But the documentation is so poor, I do not understand what things like
>> AVVideoColorPrimaries_ITU_R_709_2 mean, Apple docs don't help and my duck
>> duck go searches haven't helped.
>
> Yes, this sucks, but it’s not quite Apple’s fault. This area (colorspaces) is
> a morass of disconnected information, and you have no real alternative to
> putting it together yourself. Each information source has different
> assumptions about your prior knowledge, your intentions and your workflow,
> and so doesn’t bother to connect its information to anything else. In many
> cases, you can’t even tell for sure which *direction* data is moving, let
> alone what’s happening to it.
>
> Wikipedia is a good place to start. “ITU_R_709_2” refers to ITU Rec. BT-709:
>
>       http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rec._709
>
> “ITU_R_601” is ITU Rec. BT-601:
>
>       http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rec._601

I've read those articles recently, but well kittens could get as much practical
information out of them as I have in terms of understanding how this fits
together within AV Foundation.

>> What I'd like to know is, is the color profile of the image generated from
>> an imported movie the same as the color profile equivalent for the movie
>> (see AVFoundation color property keys above) I'm creating from individual
>> frames? It would be ideal if I could keep everything using the same profile
>> color space in my processing pipeline.
>
> Because different color space names may imply different underlying color
> space conversion technologies, about all a mere mortal can do is compare
> names. However, I’m not sure what “keep” means in that last sentence. If you
> have an input image file, it already has a color space (explicit or implied).
> Your output movie has a color space that you specified when you started. If
> they don’t match, there’s nothing you can do to “keep” them the same, you
> simply have to do a conversion.
>
> It’s the AVAssetWriter’s job to make the conversion for you. The point is you
> don’t *want* to deal with anything beyond that.

If I'm reading frames from a HD video, doing some processing of those frames
and writing a HD video with those frames there is a good chance input and
output are using the same profile. When that is the case I'd like not to do
unnecessary color space conversions.

> “It’s kittens all the way down.”

More kittens are always part of the solution.

Kevin