> On Jan 29, 2015, at 5:29 PM, Quincey Morris
> <quinceymor...@rivergatesoftware.com> wrote:
>
> On Jan 29, 2015, at 17:18 , Roland King <r...@rols.org> wrote:
>>
>> I can find this
>> http://lists.apple.com/archives/objc-language/2013/Apr/msg00119.html
>> <http://lists.apple.com/archives/objc-language/2013/Apr/msg00119.html>, is
>> that what you were remembering or is there something stronger my google-fu
>> isn't finding, which wouldn't be for the first time?
>
> I think that’s it. A few months ago, as I said. ;)
>
> The only odd thing is “non-object”. Based on the rest of Greg’s statement, I
> think it’s a typo for “non-struct”. I can’t think of a reason why an 8-byte
> pointer would produce different results from an 8-byte int. But I don’t
> really know.

"Non-object" is correct. `atomic` makes a big difference for a strong or weak
property of object type because objects have retain counts.

There is one exception to the "non-object scalar" claim. On 32-bit ARM
non-object scalar properties that are larger than 4 bytes are slower when
atomic. This includes types `double` and `long long`. The problem is that the
32-bit ARM ABI only aligns storage for those types at 4-byte boundaries, and
the CPU does not guarantee atomicity for ordinary unaligned 8-byte memory
access. Atomic accessors for those types need to do extra work.

--
Greg Parker     gpar...@apple.com     Runtime Wrangler