The documentation for the Date and Time Programming Guide for iOS does not
seem to be telling the truth, or perhaps I'm doing something wrong.

From
https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/documentation/Cocoa/Conceptual/DatesAndTimes/Articles/dtHist.html

"The Julian to Gregorian Transition

NSCalendar models the transition from the Julian to Gregorian calendar in
October 1582. During this transition, 10 days were skipped. This means that
October 15, 1582 follows October 4, 1582. All of the provided methods for
calendrical calculations take this into account, but you may need to
account for it when you are creating dates from components. Dates created
in the gap are pushed forward by 10 days. For example October 8, 1582 is
stored as October 18, 1582."

This code:

NSCalendar *calendar = [NSCalendar
calendarWithIdentifier:NSCalendarIdentifierGregorian];
 DDLog(@"calendar = %@
----------------------------------------",calendar.calendarIdentifier);
 NSDateComponents *components = [[NSDateComponents alloc] init];
 [components setYear:1582];
[components setMonth:10];
[components setDay:10];
 NSDate *date = [calendar dateFromComponents:components];
 DDLog(@"components2 = %@",components);
DDLog(@"date = %@",date);

yields this result:

DateLimit: calendar = gregorian ----------------------------------------

DateLimit: components2 = <NSDateComponents: 0x7be5b610>
    Calendar Year: 1582
    Month: 10
    Day: 10

DateLimit: date = 1582-10-10 07:52:58 +0000

Every other calculation I've tried seems to indicate that NSCalendar
provides a proleptic Gregorian calendar - i.e. it does not adjust for the
October 15 following October 4 transition.