On Feb 3, 2015, at 06:51:35, Dave Fernandes <dave.fernan...@utoronto.ca> wrote:

> NSPersistentDocument is not designed to work with “modern” features like
> private queue MOCs. So I expect you are going to be playing whack-a-mole if
> you go this route. I just switched to Mike Abdullah’s BSManagedDocument. It
> is like UIManagedDocument, but for OS X. If you don’t have any customers on
> this app yet, BSManagedDocument is pretty much a drop-in replacement for
> NSPersistentDocument. If you have customers, you will need to migrate them,
> but that is straightforward and probably much lower risk than trying to get
> NSPersistentDocument to support something it is not designed for.

That's interesting. Too bad it always saves as a package, but it gives me
something to work with. This is a new app. Actually, a new Cocoa version of an
old app, so it has no users really. The old version saved a package, but I was
hoping to get away from that with this version, but I guess as long as it's
already saving a package…

I was able to base my document class on BSManagedDocument, created a temp
private context for concurrently adding large amounts of objects to it, and it
did not block the main thread. Thanks! Now I can get on with actually doing the
rest of the app!

--
Steve Mills
Drummer, Mac geek