> On Feb 6, 2015, at 12:46 PM, Jens Alfke <j...@mooseyard.com> wrote:
>
>> On Feb 6, 2015, at 11:55 AM, Jonathan Mitchell <jonat...@mugginsoft.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> The tableView.delegate is not a zeroing weak ref - in the lingo of ARC it is
>> unsafe_unretained I believe
>> self can be deallocated leaving tableView.delegate as a dangling pointer.
>
> This is still a weak reference, it's just unsafe (non-zeroing.) You're right
> that these need to be cleaned up manually.

We prefer to reserve the term "weak" for safe zeroing weak.

> Come to think of it, I'm surprised that AppKit delegates are still
> unsafe-unretained. Why haven't these been converted to safe weak references
> yet?

Some classes are incompatible with (safe zeroing) weak references. For example,
any class that implements custom retain count storage needs additional code to
work with weak references. That means AppKit needs to be careful about binary
compatibility when it changes an unretained delegate to a weak delegate.

--
Greg Parker     gpar...@apple.com     Runtime Wrangler