…
> They are cheaper than weak references and safer than unsafe-unretained.

What makes them cheaper than weak references? It sounds like they both have to
do the same bookkeeping to track whether the pointed-to object is alive; the
only difference is the behavior when accessing the reference after the
pointed-to object is dealloced (i.e. treating the pointer as nil vs. failing
with an error.) Both of those seem equivalent in complexity.

But maybe I'm off-base on how weak references are implemented… I'd love to see
an explanation, actually.

—Jens