On 16/03/2015 22:02, Ken Thomases wrote:
On Mar 16, 2015, at 4:50 PM, has <hengist.p...@virgin.net> wrote:

Quick question as I'm guessing the answer is "no", but I've a UIAgent that
floats an NSPanel above other apps and I'm wondering if there's any way to avoid 1.
having to click not once but twice to put the cursor in a text field when the panel isn't
already active, and 2. prevent the next app - in this case Adobe Illustrator - losing all
focus which causes all of its own panels to vanish?
For issue 2, include NSNonactivatingPanelMask in the panel's style mask or, in
IB, enable Non Activating in the Attributes inspector for the panel.

Issue 2 fixed. Woot!

That may also fix issue 1, but I'm not sure.

It doesn't, but it's definitely a start. Just having AI stay in focus throughout makes the click-and-click-again window hopping a lot less disconcerting.

You may also want to experiment with setting the panel's becomesKeyOnlyIfNeeded
property, although that's more for panels which don't have many text fields.

Another possible fix for issue 1 is to use a custom subclass of NSTextField
which overrides -acceptsFirstMouse:, calls through to super (just in case it
does something important), and then returns YES regardless of what the super
implementation returned.

Thanks, I'll give it a poke later and see what happens.

has