> On Mar 19, 2015, at 3:54 PM, Ken Thomases <k...@codeweavers.com> wrote:
>
> That doesn't help with getting the window controller's -windowDidLoad method
> called.  In fact, that setting almost never helps with anything and, in my
> opinion, should generally be off.  Turning it on just takes control away from
> the window controller.

Doesn't everything in a nib file take control away from the file's owner?
That's the point of a nib file. It's true that you can do programmatically most
or all of what a nib file does using its checkboxes, but why would you want to
punish yourself like that? -- unless, of course, you need unusually fine
control over details that the nib file doesn't handle.

I believe you're mistaken when you say that the "Visible at Launch" setting
doesn't result in a call to -windowDidLoad. I'm using it now in a rewrite of my
UI Browser product, and it triggers -windowDidLoad exactly as I expected. I
don't see anything in my code that would trigger it. When I turn off the nib
setting the window does not appear at all, let alone call -windowDidLoad. I've
been following the "Visible at Launch" story since at least 2002, and I don't
recall ever hearing a suggestion that it doesn't trigger -windowDidLoad.

As far as I'm aware, the only thing that distinguishes the Visible at Launch
setting from all of the other Interface Builder settings is that it got a bit
of a bad name way back at the beginning because people misunderstood its
(admittedly misleading) wording. It does not make a window visible when the
application launches, except by coincidence if you happen to load the nib file
then. That led a lot of early users to believe that the setting was broken. Its
real meaning was eventually explained in an Interface Builder or Xcode tooltip
on the setting, maybe 6 or 7 years ago. (In trying to read the tooltip now, in
Xcode 6.2, I see that there is no tooltip for this setting, although there is a
tooltip for all the settings above and below it. Now that is really wierd!)

--

Bill Cheeseman - b...@cheeseman.name