> On 31 Mar 2015, at 15:59, Charles Jenkins <cejw...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I confused the view with the color, but in essence that’s what I was afraid
> you were saying: that Yosemite is blending with unrelated content instead of
> what is layered by your app/view/window/whatever “under” the rectangle you’re
> trying to fill.
>
> I believe you should file a bug report on this.

Nope, this is the intended design.

The standard drawing model for Cocoa on OS X is that views draw into a single
context for the whole window. Normally then views draw their content *atop* any
existing content, so as to build up the correct result. e.g. you composite a
translucent colour *over* the existing graphics there.

By using NSRectFill you are instead *replacing* whatever is there with your
translucent colour. Consequently, whatever is behind the window is now free to
appear through that translucency. As Uli said, you want to use a different
compositing operation, to give the correct result.