I am receiving reports from users that the sound generated from our app isn’t
always coming out of the iPhone speaker, but will always come out of the ear
buds when they are plugged in. This is an intermittent problem, though when the
problem is presenting itself, it can remain for days.

We are generating sound with two APIs: AVAudioPlayer and AVSpeechSynthesizer,
used in different parts of the app, not at the same time. I have remotely
logged for some users info that the APIs are in fact being called, and that
there are no errors being returned.

The users also report that sound from other apps such as YouTube and other
sound affects apps, etc., play through the speakers fine when our app is
exhibiting this problem.

I have done some testing and found that sound will play through the earbuds
regardless of the position of the mute switch on the side of the phone above
the volume buttons, but will not play through the speaker (with the earbuds
unplugged) if the mute switch is in the muted position. I asked the users if
they might have had the mute switch in the muted position, and they state it
was not in the mute position, and cycling the mute switch on and off had no
affect.

Seeing as how we have not implemented a “cone of silence” feature in our app,
I’m out of ideas of where to look and how to debug this problem. Since the
sound always plays through earbuds when plugged in, I can’t see how it would be
our code.

Has anyone else experienced sound not working in one app, or have any ideas of
why sound would not play through the speaker?

Thanks
Ron Wagner