> On May 9, 2015, at 00:22:12, Jerry Krinock <je...@ieee.org> wrote:
>
> Graham, from one who has been using your code since MacZoop, I say thank you
> AGAIN :)
>
> After using Apple’s NSSlider in circular style, I discovered other issues in
> addition to the two mentioned in my original post…
>
> - NSSlider has only one size.
>
> - NSSlider requires the eyesight and dexterity of a 14-year-old to use it.
>
> -- In order to turn NSSlider “up” or “down”, the user must make a circular
> motion on the mouse or trackpad.  Yours works correctly: Drag up or down in a
> straight line.  This is the way the circular controls in GarageBand work.
>
> Go Graham!

Ditto, especially to the part about the correct way to mouse a knob. Trying to
run a mouse around a knob in a circular motion might be intuitive, but it’s one
of the worst motions you could do with a mouse. You’d be better off training an
actual mouse to push your mouse in a circular motion. Up and down is far more
natural and easier to control, but I also think side to side is also intuitive
and natural as well. I’d offer both if I ever need to do this, just *never*
circular.

--
Steve Mills
Drummer, Mac geek