> On May 12, 2015, at 6:00 AM, davel...@mac.com wrote:
>
> I’m not sure I understand your concerns about Dropbox. The app is single user
> so when the iOS enters the background, I can upload the data (if there’s a
> network connection at the moment) for modified files to Dropbox.

A single-user app is less likely to encounter conflicts, but it can still
happen since many users have multiple iOS devices. I frequently end up
switching from iPhone to iPad, sometimes even the same app (quickly check news
on my iPhone, start reading an article, go upstairs and grab the iPad so I can
read the article more comfortably…) And if your app doesn’t somehow deal with
this, it’s looking at potential data-loss scenarios.

You can still handle conflicts using Dropbox, it’s just trickier. You’ll need
to detect the renamed version of the file that Dropbox creates — something like
“MyAppData (Jens Alfke's conflicted copy 2015-05-09).db” — then open both files
and reconcile any changes, then save back to the original file and delete the
conflicted copy. And somehow keep both devices from doing this at the same
time, or you’re back at square one.

—Jens