> in some cases, the set up within the parens could get pretty long.  In cases
> like that, I generally set up another method to handle that for organization,
> but if you're passing objects into into your init method, then you're passing
> more data again and the code could get less cleaner looking than it could be.
>
> So, I thought, "why don't we check if self != [super init] and then
> immediately return if that is the case?”

Totally agree, I always do it like this:

-(instanceType) init
{
self = [super init];
if (self == nil)
        return nil;

// Init code here

return self;
}

I nearly prefer a fast return over using a Brace, for instance:

-(BOOL) someMethodWithParameter1:(NSString*) theParam1 andParam2:(NSString*)
theParam2
{
if (theParam1 == nil)
        return NO;

if (theParam2 == nil)
        return NO;

// Other code here

return YES;
}

In preference to:

-(BOOL) someMethodWithParameter1:(NSString*) theParam1 andParam2:(NSString*)
theParam2
{if (theParam1 != nil)
        {
        if (theParam2 != nil)