Thanks Jens and Berin,
My Java experience is limited to a bit of JSP and taglibs.  Trying to get
this running will be a good experience and jump to other stuff I'd like
Cocoon to do.
ImageMagic seems to have circumvented the GIF license stuff because AFAICT
it can write GIFs too.  The image convertion utility will be a useful
addition to my Cocoon based CMS.  I almost have a complete browser based
page editor (IE5.5+) running incl. image support.  I'll check out Xopus as
soon as it's OSS, but from what I read on xopus.org the OSS version will
not implement table support. :-(  I guess there must be a reason them to
sell the commercial version.
Bert