Andrew C. Oliver wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Backward compatibility among minor revisions is generally a smart and
> good thing to do.  However, there does
> become a point where it grows six legs and starts biting you.
>
> The ESQL generator AFAIK supports everything one could need to do via
> the SQLTransformer and there does not seem
> to be a reason to continue to support both technologies.
>
> IMHO, while the code quality of the ESQL stylesheet is relatively low,
> the quality of the SQLTransformer is lower probably due to code rot and
> negative evolutionary pressures.
>
> I would suppose the SQLTransformer being largely a Cocoon 1.x construct
> is reasonable slow and my own unscientific benchmarking seems to confirm
> this.
>
> I'd like to propose we remove the SQLTransformer from Cocoon 2.1 and
> newer releases, remove all SQLTransformer based samples (or provide esql
> alternatives).

-10

The SQLTransformer provides a very good alternative to ESQL, it is in
some use cases more flexible as it is a transformer and not a generator.
And you don't need XSP to use it.

The SQLTransformer in its current state is not a 1.x construct, it has
been redesigned several times and works afaik absolutely perfect. It
is used in production environments without any problems.

Carsten