>Another reason for a PetStore style cocoon app is that it is a simple
>concept that people can wrap their heads around.  One thing that we
>can do is provide a cookie cutter style web store.  All you have to do
>is change the skin and you can open up shop.  Cocoon can do this
>far better than JPetStore.

While I agree, that is a seperate issue.  A best practices example
should be seperate from a cookie cutter
app.

The issue being, you need many of these to serve as an example to those
in other domains, where if you take
a domain that everyone is familiar with (relatively) like an e-bay type
thing or an amazon type thing, you'll be
able to explain the concepts driving cocoon without creating domain experts.

Bottom line, I've been working on this example app for a little while
and am nearly complete.  I plan to
donate that cocoon with a live site actually using it with a different
skin.  Others are welcome to set up their
own auction site with it of course.  I plan to create a piece of
documentation like the "blueprints" and hope to
collaborate with others on this to refactor it into "true" best
practices.  (Right now its the best I could deduce which
means there are places that it could be better. ..  I couldn't make hide
nor hair of database actions for instance with
the current state of the documentation.)

>Things like chess engines while definitely more entertaining aren't
>going to show the average user how to get up and running with Cocoon
>for real needs.  It also shows that we should be considered a novelty,
>and not considered seriously--which is definitely not the message I
>want put forth.

Totally agree with you there.  Oracle did that with Oracle forms and it
was a totally useless example.

-Andy