Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

Definitely no, the current CInclude transformer can do much more
than the simple XInclude version. You can configure the http connection
(set the timeout, set if you want to do a post etc.) and you
can add parameters described in XML.
So I think we really need the CInclude version - if we want to
implement the XInclude standard, then we need two transformers.
They can - as discussed many times - share the same implementation.
As we see from the xi schema, adding arbitrary configuration params should be possible:

http://www.w3.org/TR/xinclude/#syntax

<xs:complexType name="includeType" mixed="true">
<xs:choice minOccurs='0' maxOccurs='unbounded' >
<xs:element ref='xi:fallback' />
<xs:any namespace='##other' processContents='lax' />
<xs:any namespace='##local' processContents='lax' />
</xs:choice>
<xs:attribute name="href" type="xs:anyURI" use="required"/>
<xs:attribute name="parse" use="optional" default="xml"
type="xi:parseType" />
<xs:attribute name="encoding" type="xs:string" use="optional"/>
<xs:anyAttribute namespace="##other" processContents="lax"/>
</xs:complexType>

So we could have things like:

<?xml version='1.0'?>
<document xmlns:xi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XInclude";>
<xi:include href="disclaimer.xml">
<parameter name="" value=""/>
</xi:include>
</document>

or even better, use properly namespaced attrs/elems for Cocoon-specific configuration data.

</Steven>
--
Steven Noels http://outerthought.org/
Read my weblog at http://blogs.cocoondev.org/stevenn/