>> if (exist <esql:more-results>)
>>    LIMIT 5+1
>> else
>>    LIMIT 5
>>
>> I think this is an elegant solution. What you think?
>
> Sure - but the problem is that we also would need to adjust the length
> of the resultset inside the helper class. (you always want to see only 5
> rows in your page)
>
> The length of the resultset inside the class would sometimes be one more
> and sometimes *exact* - depending on whether there is a <more-results>
> tag or not. Which would be very confusing!
>
> Give me a day to think about this...

Torsten,

You're chasing a non-existent problem.  There is never a real life case that
will have both good performance for N records and bad performance for N+1
records.  The only way you can guarantee having good performance for N
records is if you can build an index.  If you can build an index then the
search will always terminate after looking at N+1 records.