On 3/3/03 20:57, "Christopher Oliver" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I've just committed [experimental] changes that provide a simple
> database API for the Cocoon flow layer modeled after JSTL
> (http://java.sun.com/products/jsp/jstl). This will allow you to perform
> a database query in a flow script that produces a bean-like object for
> use by your presentation layer (i.e. you can pass it to sendPage*() or
> use it as part of your XMLForm model), without requiring a heavyweight
> object-relational mapping.
>
> [...]
>
> Let me know what you think.

I don't like it... I use the flow with databases, and I don't see the point
in extending the "cocoon" object to include support with databases...

Cocoon needs to deal with pipelines and stuff, _not_ with JDBC. What
prevents you to have the same exact functionality by making (as I did), few
calls to Package.whatever and having your own JavaScript file to handle the
whole kit'n'kaboodle?

What I did is take my "OracleObject" stuff (mapping of oracle tables and
structs into collection based objects - Map and List), wrap it in a nice
JavaScript file using Package.com.vnunet.oracleobjects.... and working from
there...

I don't see the point in extending the core functionality of the flow,
dealing with cocoon pipelines and requests, when this should be only an
"external" layer which can be _easily_ implemented by writing one tiny
little .js file...

My 0.02$

    Pier