Steven Noels wrote:

Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

Steven Noels wrote:

Looking at the history of sitemap-v06.rng, I can't see this has been happening a lot. Quite contrarily, some (myself included) have been advocating to relax it even further. But dropping it will effectively kill the small circle of people interested in maintaining such a thing.

Reasonable?

<read my lips> I AM NOT SUGGESTING TO DROP THE SCHEMA!!! </read my lips>

is that clear enough? should I repeat it?

I'm suggesting to remove the validation target from the build system and improve the way treeprocessor handles errors.

As I said, i don't care *how* this is done, as long as the error messages that users receive are much more meaningful than those silly "System ID no found" when an attribute name is wrong.

I'm going to be stubborn about this: _if_ we drop the target (I was already aware of you not pushing to drop the schema, no problem here), then the few people who care about the schema won't be warned about required changes anymore.

I don't see any relation between the grammar, where and when it should be used, and the lack of exception handling code in the tree processor.

But since we are the only one who care to continue this thread, let's drop it. I'm going to check what Sylvain has to say about it.

Well, I thought I made it clear : although I've not considered the technical details now, I would like to integrate schema-driven syntax checks (I avoid the ambiguous "validation" word) _inside_ the treeprocessor (i.e. at sitemap load-time) to be sure that the sitemap is correct since we cannot assume each user will perform pre-runtime checks.

The technical details I'm referring to are how we can get meaninful messages from schema-driven syntax check, so that we can display them to the user.

The benefits of this approach are IMO mutiple :
- runtime checks, offline checks and schema-driven editors use a single definition of the sitemap grammar,
- since this grammar becomes an integral part of the sitemap engine, it ensures its consistency and long-term maintainance.

Deal ?

Sylvain