Christopher Oliver wrote, On 28/06/2003 19.19:

Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

I'm really confused about this SWT thing. On my computer Eclipse feels slower than JBuilder. And I still have to understand what makes SWT so compelling and AWT so dreaded.

Check out JGoodies' fake eclipse L&F using swing: http://www.jgoodies.com/freeware/metamorphosis/index.html

JGoodies is now open source on java.net.

Yeah, I know, thanks anyway.

The fact is that SWT is crap. Total crap.
Ok, now what do we say? ;-)

In reality, SWT is just a better AWT, that had been stopped because of consistency of user interfaces between systems and widget customization. If I want to make my widget in Swing it's sooo easy, and I get the same interface on all systems. I remember the bad days of AWT in this regard.

No, Swing sucks because of how it's implemented underneath. If you look at the editor code, it's full of events going round like mad, and objects being created in abundance.
For example, here is a system that uses OpenGL to make Swing faster. As you can see it's better, but not an order of magnitude as many think it may be: http://www.lri.fr/~fekete/agile2d/

Just because SWT *may* feel better on some systems doesn't mean that it's the answer. The single biggest difference between so-so and really great Swing apps is about the way developers handle threading issues. Swing is single threaded, and so we see apps that keep blocking.

            - verba volant, scripta manent -