On Mon, 28 May 2001, declan kelly wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to write a page where users can edit their
> details, so I'm pulling their details from the DB and
> trying to put them into a form as the value, simple or
> so I thought. What's happening in practice is that the
> strings I'm putting into the value have a load of
> whitespace around them and are way off the end of the
> input box. I tried using .trim() but it doesn't do
> anything. This is what I'm trying
>
> <input type="text" name="firstName">
>      <xsp:attribute name="value">
>       <xsp:expr><esql:get-string
> column="firstname"/></xsp:expr>
>      </xsp:attribute>
> </input>

try:

<input type="text" name="firstName">
<xsp:attribute name="value"><xsp:expr>
  <esql:get-string column="firstname"/>
</xsp:expr></xsp:attribute>
</input>

(xsp:attribute assumes all whitespace is important - probably erroneously,
but you never know).

or if you just can't get that to work:

<input type="{@type}" name="{@name}" maxlength="{@maxlength}" size="{@size}">
  <xsl:attribute name="value">
    <xsl:call-template name="strip-whitespace">
      <xsl:with-param name="arg" select="@value"/>
    </xsl:call-template>
  </xsl:attribute>
</input>

maybe see esxlt.org or xsltsl.sourceforge.net for a strip-whitespace
xslt function if you can't figure out how to make one.

- donald