We are migrating text data from a legacy system to one which uses Cocoon for
presentation.  In some cases the legacy data contain line breaks, which we
wish to reproduce on the new system.  The easiest way to do this appears to
be to embed "<br>" in the data where the line breaks should occur.  These
are then output to XML as "&lt;br&gt;"  Some XSLT engines (such as
InstantSAXON 6.1) will then obligingly issue the required <br> in the HTML
output stream, provided one includes disable-output-escaping="yes" in the
appropriate xsl directive.

Unfortunately, Xalan does not support this attribute.  Furthermore, Cocoon
wishes to discourage this (see
http://xml.apache.org/cocoon/faqs.html#faq-disableescaping
<http://xml.apache.org/cocoon/faqs.html#faq-disableescaping> ).  One
alternative which occurred to us is to embed <p> and </p> tags in the data
and then handle these in XSL on output.  This solution requires quite a bit
more effort than the above solution, however, particularly as the text in
question is presently output in XML as an ATTRIBUTE and not as the content
of an ELEMENT.

In view of the effort involved for the implementation described above, I am
sorely tempted to replace Xalan with another XSLT-transformer.

Questions:
1.      Where can I download a copy of
org.apache.cocoon.transformer.SAXONTransformer?
2.      Will this solve the problem?
3.      Can someone recommend an alternative solution we haven't thought of?

Thanks in advance!

Löwenfels Partner AG
Roger Brooks
Haldenstrasse 6
6006 Luzern

Telefon +41-41-418 44 00        Fax     +41-41-418 44 44
Direkt  +41-41-418 44 64

E-mail   <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
www      <http://www.loewenfels.ch> http://www.loewenfels.ch

**
*   >>>  <http://www.loewenfels.ch/d/news/indexwettbewerb.htm> NEHMEN SIE AN
UNSERER UMFRAGE TEIL UND GEWINNEN SIE EINEN PALM   <<< *
**