Sergio Carvalho wrote:

> On Thu, 19 Jul 2001 17:21:52 +0200 (CEST), Giacomo Pati <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> --
> > Quoting Jean-Marc Borer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> >
> > > Hello guys,
> > >
> > > I am new to Cocoon, but not to web application development and XML. We
> > > are currently evaluating Cocoon to see if it fits out needs. We develop
> > > web applications based on servlets. In a MVC (model view controller)
> > > model, we expect to use servlets as controllers, Cocoon for the view and
> > > we have our own database layer for the model. Our servlets are
> > > responsible to produce the XML (from information extracted of the
> > > database) and tranmit it to the Cocoon pipeline for the rendition.
> > > However our static pages will be written in XML and processed by Cocoon
> > > in the usual way.
> > > What is the best way to implement this? Subclass the ServletGenerator
> > > class and build our owns?
> >
> > No, Cocoon was not build to be used that way. Best is you rewrite your servlet
> > as Actions and put it at the begining of your pipeline definitions in the
> > sitemap.
>
> Why not? Why can't the servlets be used as Generators, and feed cocoon like any
> other generator? Cocoon can be used as a complete solution, but I see no valid reason
> to avoid using (part of) it as a presentation layer. With aggregation and caching,
> it's probably the best software out there for the job.

I absolutely agree. You not only benefit from caching, converting,
multiple output and sitemap, but you can also mix static (XML pages) and
dynamic content (application/servlet output) and maange their rendition
through Cocoon. That why I wanted to know if anyone ever tried to use
the Cocoon that way.

> I don't know if there is a Servlet Generator, but that's another totally
> different story.

In fact, yes there is a ServletGenerator class, but it is not documented
at all... Anyone tried to use it?