I was able to get Cocoon2 (b1) running in VAJ but not with Websphere Test
Environment.  WTE is not servlet 2.2 compliant, which I'm thinking will
ultimately cause you problems.  Instead, I used the Apache Tomcat Test
Environment (There's also a Resin plug-in, if you'd rather use it).  I don't
recall running into the problem you listed below...but I ran into several
issues before it ran successfully.

If interested, I can send you the list of things I had to do to get it
running in this mode.

Then, when you get ready to deploy Cocoon2 to WebSphere Application Server,
you'll have a whole other set of things to do to get it running :-)

Do other's think it'd be good to provide an install FAQ for various vendors,
similar to what Struts does (see
http://jakarta.apache.org/struts/installation.html, bottom of page).  I'd be
happy to share what I had to do with Resin, VisualAge for Java and
WebSphere. I'm sure there are other containers that people have deployed to
and it'd be nice for others to not have to go thru the deployment
frustration that is often accompanied by first-time deployment to containers
other than Tomcat.

Regards,
Jon