Diana,

regarding performance issues... I don't know much about it :(

Regarding the sentence "Now that Cocoon2 has a SAX-driven pipeline...", I
beg to differ, since the pipeline is NOT SAX-driven.

Yes, the sitemap is static, I mean, you cannot decide midway in a pipeline
to choose a different path (say, a different stylesheet) based on SAX
events.

Anyhow, the creative use of "document()" could make a lot of things
possible... I'll investigate this further.

Best regards,

               Luca Morandini
               GIS Consultant
              [EMAIL PROTECTED]