----- Original Message -----
From: "Berin Loritsch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, December 07, 2001 5:36 PM
Subject: Re: performance

hello berin,

i have some answers to your questions and some questions 'bout your
answers...

> Also, you didn't answer my first question:
>
> Is this 45 second access only for the first time you access the page, or
_every_
> time you access the page.  Remember that the sitemap and the XSP pages
must be compiled.....etc

all subsequent requests are slow.

i have taken a closer look at what is happening:

 i've found out that the initial processing of the sql query takes only
about one third of the total time (about 10 secs) . getting the data after
receiving the first couple of bytes takes another 20 secs (perceived
'download' speed is about 20Kb/s on average, both dbserver and webserver are
localhost ).

looking at the mssql profiler gives the impression that a lot is done to get
the data.
after :
declare @P1 int
declare @P5 int
declare @P6 int
set @P1=NULL
set @P5=4104
set @P6=8193
exec sp_cursorprepare @P1 output, NULL, N'

     select * from tnode
 ', 1, @P5 output, @P6 output
select @P1, @P5, @P6

and

declare @P2 int
declare @P3 int
declare @P4 int
declare @P5 int
set @P2=0
set @P3=8
set @P4=8193
set @P5=0
exec sp_cursorexecute 2, @P2 output, @P3 output, @P4 output, @P5 output
select @P2, @P3, @P4, @P5

 a _lot_ of times this is executed:
sp_cursorfetch 536363100, 16, 1, 1
it seems this sp_cursorfetch is reponsible for the duration of the
dataretrieval part.

so maybe something is wrong with the way the dbserver is queried.
is this a JDBC driver thing?

> Also, do a search for the word Exception in the contents of the files in
the log
> directory (I think you said you were on windows).  If you see any
concerning
> your database connection, that can hurt performance.

Nothing like 'Exception' or 'Could not create' or 'Error' was found in the
logs.

> Is your JVM set with the following params:
>
> java -Xms64M -Mmx128M    ?
>
> This keeps the JVM from using more than your physical memory.  Remember,
it is
> cheaper for your JVM to manage your memory than for your OS to cache to
disk.

you mean like setting CATALINA_OPTS to -Xms64M -Xmx128M

i upgraded memory to 392M, changed CATALINA_OPS to -Xms64M -Xmx356
and the janitor settings to
<parameter name="freememory" value="80000000"/>
<parameter name="heapsize" value="175000000"/>

, but performance is still the same.

oke, hope to hear more

The information in this message is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is
intended solely for the addressee. Access to this message by anyone else is
unauthorized. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, or
distribution of the message, or any action or omission taken by you in reliance on it,
is prohibited and may be unlawful. Please immediately contact the sender if you have
received this message in error.