I suppose that this is really a Xvfb or even a Linux question, but since it
directly relates to Cocoon I hope you'll allow me to ask it here. I've
tried linux.redhat.misc with no success.

I have a very basic RedHat 7.0 web server (Apache 1.3.20) and I want to run
Cocoon 2.0 with Tomcat 3.3. Apparently, I also need to run Xvfb in order
for Cocoon to work properly. I would very much like to start Xvfb at boot
time along with all of the other web services. I've written an init.d
script to do this. This script works very well from the command line, but
for some reason it won't work at boot time. Perhaps Xvfb requires a service
that isn't running when it tries to start? I was wondering if anyone might
be doing this successfully and if they'd mind sharing their init.d script.
I'd also appreciate being pointed to any documentation that might explain
what I'm doing wrong.

My current script was accepted by chkconfig and all of the rc.d links are
present. It works great from the command line and *appears* to work at boot
time (I get the "starting" message and the result is "OK"), but once the
system finishes booting and I log on there is no instance of Xvfb running.

Here is the script that I'm currently using...

-------------- beginning of script ---------------
#!/bin/sh
#
# Startup script for Xvfb
#
# chkconfig: 2345 79 21
# processname: Xvfb
#
# Source function library.
. /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions

## See how we were called.
case "$1" in
  start)
        echo -n "Starting Xvfb services: "
        Xvfb :1 -screen 0 800x600x8 &
        export DISPLAY=:1

        echo
        touch /var/lock/subsys/Xvfb
        ;;
  stop)
        echo -n "Stopping Xvfb services: "
        killproc Xvfb

        echo
        rm -f /var/lock/subsys/Xvfb
        ;;
  status)
        status Xvfb
        ;;
  restart|reload)
        $0 stop
        $0 start
        ;;
  *)
        echo "Usage: xvfb {start|stop|status|restart}"
        exit 1
esac

exit 0

This script is similar to the one in this usenet posting (beware wordwrap)...

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=+%22starting+Xvfb%22&hl=en&lr=lang_en&rnum
=2&selm=m266r04r65.fsf%40gododdin.internal.jasmine.org.uk