Perhaps I wasn't clear enough:

Xvfb will not solve the problem of you trying to run tomcat/cocooon
alongside Apache, that's what mod_webapp is for.

Xvfb will solve the problem of you not being able to use Batik with your
Cocoon SVG graphics.

Eventually you will need Xvfb but for now you need mod_webapp to integrate
coocoon with Apache

Carlos