As some of you already know, our company has built a complete middleware
solution around Cocoon. This product, named "sunShine", is successfully
being used to build a variety of different solutions for various customers
here in Germany. sunShine applications range from Web portals to XML based
workflow systems.

We think Cocoon is an ideal solution for building XML applications and are
proud to be a part of this great community. In the past we have donated
smaller components, Carsten's development efforts and other bits and pieces
to the Cocoon project. We are also doing our best to increase visibility for
Cocoon by writing articles for magazines and speaking at conferences about
Cocoon.

Although the current primary use of Cocoon is as a Web publishing framework
we see great potential for integrated components that provide such things as
authentication and portal capabilities. To honor this we are willing to
return parts of sunShine back to the Cocoon project. These parts will
include Cocoon components for authentication, session management and
building portals. All of these components adhere to the Cocoon architecture
and are "tried and trusted".

Here is a brief description:

The authorization components allow the integration of given data-sources
(e.g. databases that may already contain user information) and provide a
means of protecting pipelines so that only authorized users can access the
defined resources.

The portal engine is totally SAX-based and is integrated into the sitemap.
Portals can be described in an XML format. Content can be defined for the
portal using regular Cocoon pipelines. Based on the authorization
components, a portal generator "gets" the portal description for a user and
streams the complete portal content into the pipeline. A following
stylesheet transformation transforms this into HTML.

We have discussed this move with several people from the Cocoon community
and have received tremendous feedback. Therefore Carsten is currently
working to bring the components in line with an upcoming Cocoon release and
we will be donating them (along with documentation, samples etc.) in the
near future. Probably around the middle of February.

In the meantime please contact us if you would like any further information.

Best regards

Matthew Langham / Carsten Ziegeler

Tel:+49-5251-1581-30  [EMAIL PROTECTED] - http://www.s-und-n.de