Hi Alex,

The main difference between the components we will be donating and Jetspeed
is the fact that our components are integrated into Cocoon 2.0 (and adhere
to the Cocoon interfaces and concepts) - as opposed to being layered on as
in Jetspeed. So if you then want to build a portal all you need is Cocoon.

As the donated components will also include authentication components you
can pick the bits you want (or need) and build _your_ solution to fit. So
you could say just use the authentication parts to protect certain resources
in the sitemap or use both the authentication and portal components to build
a complete portal. You can use simple XML files as a source for your user
data-base, or opt to use an exisiting database. Again, the user source is a
Cocoon pipeline (which allows you to use the exisiting transformers, XSP,
whatever).

Inside your portal, you then use normal Cocoon pipelines as content (there
are mechanisms available that make sure these content pipelines can only be
called inside a portal context). So it is pretty easy to build portals that
say access news sources (in XML) and then present them inside a portal
layout.

To build your portal you then create a pipeline containing the portal
generator. This generator reads (and builds) the portal profile for each
user depending on his/her settings - again these settings are obtained via a
Cocoon pipeline (the default being a file). Each content pipeline can then
use a stylesheet to format its particular data into some layout - if needed.
Once the XML data has been generated for the portal it is then transformed
into say an HTML layout. So again, it is then pretty easy to add additional
stylesheets to format into some other format.

Hope this helps for the moment.

We are also answering similar questions on the dev list - so you may want to
check those out as well.

Regards

Matthew

Tel:+49-5251-1581-30  [EMAIL PROTECTED] - http://www.s-und-n.de