Hello, I'm using cvs( March 02, 2002) and having success with:

   <xsp:logic>
        String fruit = <xsp:expr><xsp-request:get-parameter
name="fruit"></xsp-request:get-parameter></xsp:expr>;
    </xsp:logic>

generated java code is:
          String fruit =
            ((XSPRequestHelper.getParameter(objectModel, "fruit",
                                            null, null, null)));

but when I try to use

   <xsp:logic>
        String fruit = <xsp:expr><xsp-request:get-parameter
><name>fruit</name></xsp-request:get-parameter></xsp:expr>;
    </xsp:logic>

generated java code is:
           String fruit=((XSPRequestHelper.getParameter(objectModel,
                                            null, null, null, null)));

there is no effect from the child element <name> so the parameter is not
found and the fruit string becomes null (Tried using <xsp:attribute> to set
it as an attribute but got null as well).
I'm doing this for the purpose of placing a variable holding the name of the
parameter into the request like:

   <xsp:logic>
String parameterName="fruit";
        String fruit = <xsp:expr><xsp-request:get-parameter
><name><xsp:expr>parameterName</xsp:expr></name></xsp-request:get-parameter>
</xsp:expr>;
    </xsp:logic>

Regards,

Roger