Hi Istvan,

Your XSP is not valid. Any xsp:logic tag which comes before first
document tag goes to the XSP class definition, not to the XSP method
body. So your tag defines string member of the class "fruit" with
initializer. Initializer you specified requires request object. At the
time of instance creation this request object is obviously missing.
Hence, you got NullPointerException.

The correct XSP (assuming you are using Cocoon 2) is:

---------------------8<-------------------
<?xml version="1.0"?>

<xsp:page xmlns:xsp="http://apache.org/xsp";
          xmlns:xsp-request="http://apache.org/xsp/request/2.0";>

    <xsp:logic>
      String fruit = <xsp-request:get-parameter name="fruit"/>;
    </xsp:logic>

    <b>The string is: </b>
    <xsp:expr>fruit</xsp:expr>
    <b>The request parameter is: </b>
    <xsp-request:get-parameter name="fruit"/>
</xsp:page>

Regards,
Vadim