Hi Peter,

all your pipelines are wrapped (secured) by the sunRise-auth action
with the handler and the application parameter, for example the
sunLets:

      <map:match pattern="sunspotdemo**">
                <map:act type="sunRise-auth">
                        <map:parameter name="handler" value="sunspotdemohandler"/>
                        <map:parameter name="application" value="sunspotdemo"/>

                        <map:match pattern="sunspotdemosunlet-*.xml">
                                <map:generate
src="sunspotdemo/resources/auth/sunlet-{1}.xml"/>
                                <map:serialize type="xml"/>
                        </map:match>
            </map:act>
      </map:match>

The sunRise-auth action provides several key/value pairs that can be used
inside the sitemap like the ID of the current user, the role etc.
So your example could look like this:

                <map:act type="sunRise-auth">
                        <map:parameter name="handler" value="sunspotdemohandler"/>
                        <map:parameter name="application" value="sunspotdemo"/>

                  <map:generate src="application.xml">
                           <map:parameter name="user_id" value="{ID}"/>
                   </map:generate>

HTH

Carsten