Thanks Vadim

I checked the call via a 'GET' (not POST) and saw it was OK (as
below)-
but found out the trouble was that there was no 'fallback' match
to process the form when NO db action was required e.g.
calling a blank form.

Oh well, it took a while but the message is clear:
'If you don't understand the pipeline your'e ...in trouble!!'

Derek

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 20/03/2002 05:02:12 >>>
> From: Derek Hohls [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
>
> Vadim
>
> The pipeline is invoked via a 'normal' type of call, e.g.
> docs/samples/forms/form_chemicals?id=123

Here the problem is. Where is the cocoon-action request parameter,
which
should have name of the action to be executed? Try:

docs/samples/forms/form_chemicals?id=123&cocoon-action-<action-name>=som
ething
(new syntax)

or

docs/samples/forms/form_chemicals?id=123&cocoon-action=<action-name>
(old, deprecated syntax)

Vadim

> (similar to the forms/employee sample)
>
> The actions are the same as those in the existing (sample) sitemap:
>   <map:actions>
>    <map:action name="add-dbentry"
> src="org.apache.cocoon.acting.DatabaseAddAction"/>
>    <map:action name="del-dbentry"
> src="org.apache.cocoon.acting.DatabaseDeleteAction"/>
>    <map:action name="upd-dbentry"
> src="org.apache.cocoon.acting.DatabaseUpdateAction"/>
>   </mapaction>
>
> and actionset
>
>  <map:action-sets>
>   <map:action-set name="dbentry">
>    <map:act type="add-dbentry" action="Add"/>
>    <map:act type="del-dbentry" action="Delete"/>
>    <map:act type="upd-dbentry" action="Update"/>
>   </map:action-set>
>  </map:action-sets>
>
> As you can see, I have not written any new code here... how/
> where do I put the debug code in or check the result of the action
> as nothing seems to be happening?
>
> Sorry for seeming obtuseness... this looks like it should be a
> simple task to carry out but I still confused as to why the basics
> are not working.
>
> Thansk for the patience
>
> Derek

> I don't know how you are invoking this pipeline (what URL looks
like),
> and what actions are in the set, but is should choose an action
based
> on
> the (IIRC, never used this ;) cocoon-action request parameter - its
> value should match action name. Then chosen action is being
executed.
> Put some debug output into your action to see that it is being
> executed.
> Check the result of the action also - it should not be null.
>
> Vadim

OK.
> [...]
> > some differences in the display (eg. no JavaScript) they are very
> > similar.  How do I go about finding why no action can be / is
> processed?
> >
> > Thanks
> > Derek
> >
> > D Hohls
> > CSIR Environmentek
> > PO Box 17001
> > Kwa-Zulu Natal
> > South Africa
> > 4013

> > Your action set do not succeed, so pipeline is not being executed.
> >
> > IIRC, action set will succeed when it is possible to choose at
least
> one
> > action from the set and that action returns not null Map (it could
> be
> > empty, but not null).
> >
> > See also forms/employee in the sample sitemap.
> >
> > Vadim
> >
> > > From: Derek Hohls [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
> > >
> > > Running C2.0 under Windows 2000, JDK 1.3, Apache/Tomcat
> > >
> > > I am trying to get a small database working.  After failing to
> > > get it working in a submap, I have tried moving all the relevant
> > > files over to the Cocoon samples directory.
> > >
> > > When I have:
> > >
> > >    <map:match pattern="docs/samples/forms/form_chemicals">
> > >        <map:generate type="serverpages"
> > > src="docs/samples/forms/form_chemicals.xsp"/>
> > >        <map:transform src="docs/samples/styles/dbform.xsl"/>
> > >        <map:serialize />
> > >    </map:match>
> > >
> > > all is well, and the output from the database output displays as
> > > expected.
> > >
> > > But when I try and use actions:
> > >
> > >    <map:match pattern="docs/samples/forms/form_chemicals">
> > >      <map:act set="dbentry">
> > >        <map:parameter name="descriptor"
> > > value="context://docs/samples/forms/desc_chemicals.xml" />
> > >        <map:generate  type="serverpages"
> > > src="docs/samples/forms/form_chemicals.xsp"/>
> > >        <map:transform src="docs/samples/styles/dbform.xsl"/>
> > >        <map:serialize />
> > >      </map:act>
> > >    </map:match>
> > >
> > > I get the error message in the root log:
> > >
> > > WARN    (2002-03-19) 15:03.20:994   [root    ]
> > > (/cocoon/docs/samples/forms/form_chemicals)
> > >  HttpProcessor[8080][4]/CocoonServlet: The resource was not
found
> > > org.apache.cocoon.ResourceNotFoundException:
> > > No pipeline matched request: /docs/samples/forms/form_chemicals
> > >
> > > The action set and descriptor all exist in the relevant
> directories,
> > > and the action set is also
> > > defined in the relevant sitemap entry.  The Tomcat work
directory
> was
> > > clean.
> > >
> > > Any clues as to why pattern is not matched?
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > > Derek
> > >
> > > PS I have tried changing:
> > > <map:parameter name="descriptor"  value="contex
> > > <map:parameter name="descriptor"  value="file

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>