hi randy,

> I have Tomcat installed and working and I was told by someone on the
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] list that all I had to do was put the cocoon.war
> file in the tomcat/webapps directory, restart tomcat and that was
> it. Seemed
> too easy and naturally it didn't work for me. I was wondering if

could you please tell us exactly what the error was, that you've got?

> I still had
> to follow some of the other install steps listed at
> http://xml.apache.org/cocoon/installing/index.html? Such as replacing the
> xalan-XXX.jar, xercesImpl-XXX.jar and xml-apis.jar files in the Tomcat
> installed files with the ones from the Cocoon package and also editing the
> cocoon/src/webapp/WEB-INF/web.xml file?

yes, sure, you have to do that.

> /usr/local/jakarta-tomcat-4.0.3
> /usr/local/jakarta-tomcat-4.0.3/webapps/cocoon.war

that is correct!

> /usr/local/jakarta-tomcat-4.0.3/cocoon/

not, if you didn't configure the server.xml file in the config directory
(don't do that).

> One last question just to confirm my rookie status ... do I need
> the JDK and
> ANT installed for any of this? If so, what versions do I need with OSX?

the jdk is default on osx, you don't need any more than that. you can use
ant for development (i would appreciate that), but it is not a must.

i don't know about your mac, but if you are not connected to the internet,
you might encounter some problems with "localhost". try to use the following
url, to access the cocoon webapp:

http://127.0.0.1:8080/cocoon/

hope it helps,

moritz.