Hi Moritz,

First of all, I meant no disrespect to you after you kindly responded to
this thread on the [EMAIL PROTECTED] and have now caught me in a
cross posting to this list. After reading the suggestion that all I had to
do was re-locate the cocoon.war file and that was it. Then discovered the
"cocoon-users" list and thought it was more applicable to my questions the
the "java-dev" list.

This also hasn't been a good week for me to be learning all this stuff. My
wife, 3 kids (2, 6 & 8) and myself were hit hard with the flu bug this week.
Nothing worse then being sick when your kids are sick. Anyway, enough of the
soap opera ... comments interspersed below ...

on 4/5/02 9:37 AM, Moritz Petersen at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> hi randy,
>
>> I have Tomcat installed and working and I was told by someone on the
>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] list that all I had to do was put the cocoon.war
>> file in the tomcat/webapps directory, restart tomcat and that was
>> it. Seemed
>> too easy and naturally it didn't work for me. I was wondering if
>
> could you please tell us exactly what the error was, that you've got?

There was no error message per se, there was simply no XML parsing
happening. The only chunk of the XML file to be displayed in the browser
window was ... type="text/html". So cocoon is not loaded and no
transformations happend.

>> I still had
>> to follow some of the other install steps listed at
>> http://xml.apache.org/cocoon/installing/index.html? Such as replacing the
>> xalan-XXX.jar, xercesImpl-XXX.jar and xml-apis.jar files in the Tomcat
>> installed files with the ones from the Cocoon package and also editing the
>> cocoon/src/webapp/WEB-INF/web.xml file?
>
> yes, sure, you have to do that.

Okay I've done this but there is one file that I can't find.

>From http://xml.apache.org/cocoon/installing/index.html
Copy cocoon/lib/core/batik-libs-XXX.jar to the tomcat/common/lib directory.

I began my installation with "cocoon-2.0.2-bin.tar.gz" and un-packaged it
but cannot find this file in the cocoon/lib/core directory, nor can I find
it at all. Now I'm wondering if I need to go to
http://xml.apache.org/batik/dist/ and look for it there and hope I don't
have to "build" it.

>> /usr/local/jakarta-tomcat-4.0.3
>> /usr/local/jakarta-tomcat-4.0.3/webapps/cocoon.war
>
> that is correct!
>
>> /usr/local/jakarta-tomcat-4.0.3/cocoon/
>
> not, if you didn't configure the server.xml file in the config directory
> (don't do that).

Where then should I keep my cocoon directory? Or is all I really need
cocoon.war, xalan-XXX.jar, xercesImpl-XXX.jar,  xml-apis.jar and
batik-libs-XXX.jar?

>> One last question just to confirm my rookie status ... do I need
>> the JDK and
>> ANT installed for any of this? If so, what versions do I need with OSX?
>
> the jdk is default on osx, you don't need any more than that. you can use
> ant for development (i would appreciate that), but it is not a must.
>

> i don't know about your mac, but if you are not connected to the internet,
> you might encounter some problems with "localhost". try to use the following
> url, to access the cocoon webapp:
>
> http://127.0.0.1:8080/cocoon/

I'm on a cable modem so basically its always there. Anyway that doesn't work
yet and I didn't expect it to since I still things to sort out. So I'm off
to sort out this batik-libs-XXX.jar file and to install ANT but I'm also
considering Vadim's advice "ALL NEWBIES READ THIS: Use Tomcat 4.0.1!". The
install instructions look a lot easier.

Cheers and thanks,
Randy

PS: Next year I'm getting a flu shot.