I've got a sitemap_xmap.java and .class:
     79221 Apr 12 14:29 sitemap_xmap.class
     15470 Apr 12 14:29 sitemap_xmap$Configurer.class
    339625 Apr 12 14:29 sitemap_xmap.java

Contents of ERROR.LOG:

--------------------- begin ---------------------------
ERROR   (2002-04-12) 14:29.25:556[sitemap](/cocoon/documentation/)
Thread-13/Handler: Error compiling sitemap
org.apache.cocoon.ProcessingException: Language Exception:
org.apache.cocoon.components.language.LanguageException: Could not load
class for pro
gram 'org/apache/cocoon/www/sitemap_xmap' due to a
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.cocoon.www.sitemap_xmap
    at
org.apache.cocoon.components.language.generator.ProgramGeneratorImpl.createR
esource(ProgramGeneratorImpl.java:335)
    at
org.apache.cocoon.components.language.generator.ProgramGeneratorImpl.load(Pr
ogramGeneratorImpl.java:291)
    at org.apache.cocoon.sitemap.Handler.run(Handler.java:270)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:498)
org.apache.cocoon.components.language.LanguageException: Could not load
class for program 'org/apache/cocoon/www/sitemap_xmap' due to a java.lan
g.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.cocoon.www.sitemap_xmap
    at
org.apache.cocoon.components.language.programming.java.JavaLanguage.loadProg
ram(JavaLanguage.java:186)
    at
org.apache.cocoon.components.language.programming.CompiledProgrammingLanguag
e.load(CompiledProgrammingLanguage.java:201)
    at
org.apache.cocoon.components.language.generator.ProgramGeneratorImpl.generat
eResource(ProgramGeneratorImpl.java:383)
    at
org.apache.cocoon.components.language.generator.ProgramGeneratorImpl.createR
esource(ProgramGeneratorImpl.java:328)
[...]
ERROR   (2002-04-12) 14:29.25:631[access](/cocoon/documentation/)
Thread-13/CocoonServlet: Problem with servlet
[...]

I did not perform the "build" on the cocoon files myself but more and more I
think it's coming back around to something not being include in the build
process that it needs. I've commented out all of the SVG references in the
sitemap thinking it was an X11 server deal, but the problem persists.

I appreciate the help and suggestions.

Mark