Thanks for this suggestion, but I'm afraid it isn't the answer.  When I
say "larger PDF files" I mean over 150K, which is hardly huge.  I tried
setting the maximum java heap size to 100Mb anyway but it still didn't
work.

There is no error as such in any of the log files, although I notice
that the "CONTENT LENGTH" for the pdf file reported in core.log is -1.
(As an aside, once I serve the (truncated) file once it is cached, is
there any way to flush this?)  Looking at the archives I see that there
were similar problems with serving pdf files generated on-the-fly a
while ago.  Is it possible that in fixing that bug somebody broke
something else?

Mike.