I've got the international characters set up a little differently in X
(I use Gnome)
and find this really really convenient.  I generally only use
international chracters for testing so this method makes it easy for
me to compose the characters I want.

I have the following in my .Xmodmap

keycode 78 = Multi_key

That is, set the scroll lock key as a multi key character

Then

    ScrollLock a "

gives you ä (a with umlaut).  So all the character compositions are
really obvious à, â, å

I think the Multi_key was all I needed to set up.

                                                                ...Peter