Greetings all,

Thank you both .. Vadim and Erwin for pointing me in the right direction.

After careful study of both sitemaps I found the following ...

the sub-sitemap (in vcard) was missing one component

<map:selectors default="browser"/>

I guess it was cut and paste that proved to be my nemesis ... and also
staring at a monitor for 19 hours at a stretch ...

... I added the missing line in the sitemap  ... and everything started
working fine.

One area of confusion is the use of the "*" and "**" ... is it just my
imagination
that * in a sitemap does not mean the same as * in a regular expression
(expands
to match zero or more characters???) ... there used to be a page that
described that
it has moved and I cannot find it.

Anyway ... Cocoon is behaving now and life is good !!

Now it is on to bigger and better (i.e. more complicated) sub-sitemaps

Thanks again ...
Conrad