Because it's cleaner :)

The thing you must remember is that ANAY request tht start with /cocoon/ is
sent to COCOON.
If in cocoon/myapp/index.html (wich is generated by cocoon), you have a
relative link "myscript.js", the browser will ask the web server for
cocoon/myapp/myscript.js. The server know that all cocoon/** url are handle
by cocoon, so it ask Cocoon (the servlet) for "myapp/myscript.js", because
it doesn't know that "myapp/script.js" must be processed differently from
myapp/index.html.

So what you must do is have a cocoon pipeline that match *.js and send (via
a reader) the .js file. Since you want it to be clean, you put all the .js's
in a myapp/js directory.

Now you understood, you can do the same for *.gif, *.bmp, *.doc, ...

Another way to serve .js is to use an URL wich is out of the /cocoon/* path
(ex : use an absolute path to http://myserver/js/toto.js, so cocoon won't be
concerned by the request)

hope it's clearer (i doubt :)

fabien.