Thanks JOe and everyone else who responded. For the record here's what I did:

1) Re-installed tomcat 4.0.1 as per:

http://developer.apple.com/internet/macosx/tomcat1.html

2) Re-installed cocoon 2.0 as per:

http://xml.apache.org/cocoon/installing/index.html

3) Looked in the archives for clues regarding "remove all batik
stuff" and found:

http://www.mail-archive.com/cocoon-users@xml.apache.org/msg12913.html

Thanks Bert Van Kets

4) Removed all xml branches in webapps/cocoon/sitemap.xmap containing
the strings "svg", "pdf" and "fop".

5) Removed batik-libs.jar and fop-0_20_1-dev.jar from
webapps/cocoon/WEB-INF/lib/

6) Started up Tomcat, went to localhost:8080/cocoon/ and it worked!

Only problem I noticed is that the docs can't be accessed from the
cocoon welcome page. Must have svg/fop/pdf-realted stuff in there?

Hopefully this mail will take care of this for other OS X newbie
users. Typing OS X into the archive serach engine doesn't do much.

Thanks
Paul

>currently have Tomcat 4.0.1 and Cocoon 2.0 running on Mac OS X
>10.1.4...  just make sure you remove all the batik stuff and you
>should be golden...
>
>peace.  JOe...
>
>On Tue, 28 May 2002 17:50:39 -0400
>  Paul Kelly <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>I've tried the following:
>>
>>Tomcat 4.0.1 w/ cocoon 2.0
>>Tomcat 4.0.1 w/ cocoon 2.0.2
>>Tomcat 4.0.4b1 w/ cocoon 2.0
>>Jetty 4 w/ cocoon 2.0
>>Tomcat 4.0.4b1 w/ cocoon 1.8
>>
>>Each time the servlet container works fine, cocoon does not. The
>>only luck I've had is with Murray Todd's old pkg file which is no
>>longer available and is one year out of date.
>>
>>I am about ready to give up. Has anyone out there actually
>>installed cocoon 2 on OS X? That's all I need to know.
>>
>>--paul

>>For additional commands, e-mail: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>>

>peace.  JOe...

>For additional commands, e-mail: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

other keywords: apple macintosh crash crashes