Maybe your original xml code is correct but in your sample are some typos:

Anyway I just checked with xalan and it works:

xml code:

<search>
 <items>
  <rowset>
   Some data
  </rowset>
 </items>
</search>

xsl code:

<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"
<xsl:template match="search">
 <xsl:apply-templates select="items/rowset" />
</xsl:template>

<xsl:template name="items-list" match="items/rowset">
 <xsl:value-of select="."/>
</xsl:template>
</xsl:stylesheet>

output:

<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"
<xsl:template match="search">
 <xsl:apply-templates select="items/rowset" />
</xsl:template>

<xsl:template name="items-list" match="items/rowset">
 <xsl:value-of select="."/>
</xsl:template>
</xsl:stylesheet>

Judith