Hummm.  I'm not running Apache as root (its running as "nobody").  It
responds on port 80.
I'm starting it with apachectl.

Its generally a better idea to run Apache in front of tomcat for
performance reasons.  Tomcat is
actually pretty slow on the scale of things, where Apache is actually
pretty fast (especially 2.xx).
If you let it handle the requests and forward them where appropriate
you'll be a lot better off.
Especially for images.

-Andy