True.  The processes handling the requests however run as nobody.  I
suppose one could still find a way to compromise the master process, but
I find it way more likely that they'd compromise the children.
Furthermore, Its still a horrid idea to run tomcat as root, as you're
running *everything* under tomcat as root as well.

-Andy

On Fri, 2002-07-05 at 14:17, Bruno Dumon wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-07-05 at 15:48, Andrew C. Oliver wrote:
> > Hummm.  I'm not running Apache as root (its running as "nobody").  It
> > responds on port 80.
> > I'm starting it with apachectl.
> >

> If it responds to port 80, the main httpd process is running with root
> privileges. The user that is used for the childprocesses handling the
> requests is normally specified using the 'User' directive in the
> httpd.conf
>
> --
> Bruno

http://www.superlinksoftware.com - software solutions for business
http://jakarta.apache.org/poi - Excel/Word/OLE 2 Compound Document in
Java
http://krysalis.sourceforge.net/centipede - the best build/project
structure
                    a guy/gal could have! - Make Ant simple on complex Projects!
vote.
-Ambassador Kosh