I am currently using DirectoryGenerator.
My concern is that it is probably a non-cacheable component, so each time
a request is made, each time a listing of my directory is made.

Of course, files in my directory change once in a century, so the
DirectoryGenerator almost always gives the same result.

If there is no caching system, I would like to make a kind of home-made
caching strategy, using a separate file which timestamp would keep
track of the modification in my directories (== I 'touch' this file
each time I write something in my directories), so I check
this timestamp against the last time the DirectoryGenerator
was accessed, make a test and send a cached DirectoryGenerator result
instead of launching the component.

Is it possible to make that in current architecture?
Is it possible to tune the caching strategy (with actions, for example).