OK, some sloppy copying as well!
Originally, this would look like:

<map:match pattern="**/*.html">
  <map:generate src="{1}/{2}.xml"
> > <map:transform src="stylesheets/element.xsl">
> >     <map:parameter name="use-request-parameters" value="true"/>
> >     <map:parameter name="path" value="{1}/{2}"/>
> > </map:transform>
  <map:serialize type="html"/>
</map:match>

So besides the request-parameters a paramater named path is also passed to the xsl,
which can be helpfull. For instance, you're building a navigation, then the xml and
xsl would be the same for each request, and the xsl could then highlight the nav-item
that matches path.

<snip>