Good question. ATM, I only could give artificial scenarios.

The real use case I had in mind was the application where I used the
Serializer out of Cocoon. This application produces an Excel sheet which
is sent out by Email. So it is not direct a response but a "side effect"
to the request. In C2 this is called a "sink" (or will be). If I wanted
to port that app to Cocoon, I thought of using a Transformer. Then
again, probalby I would not really need a WriteableSource for that.
IIRC, there is a Transformer which could  take a Serializer to produce
the Excel output.

        Sven