Hi cocooners,
Now that I have your attention, I would like to
discuss the ideal of non-compromised development of
full-blown, stable, scallable and manageable
applications with open-source only and how far one
could get to fulfill this. It is probably little OT on
this list, but I think a bunch of very open-minded and
progressive folks is here, so I hope I could get some
discussion going.
I think many of you have reached some status quo which
could be of great service to all the newcomers.
Nevertheless, everybody is probably tired of yet
another bugs, yet another unanswered questions, yet
another everyday technology-related problems and there
is no end to this. But I have a faith that there is
some solution that could be achieved with open source
and it waits to be discovered.
It starts with what one wants to achieve. For me, it
is secure content-centric multi-user roles web portal,
with professional design, able to serve without
interruption even by ongoing changes and high user
traffic. But I think the framework I'd like to propose
here may be universal enough to be equally worth also
for many other means.
If you got so far with me, I'd like to start being
concrete:
1) Operating system
Proposal: Linux
Remarks: One could discuss the distributions or other
Unix derivates here, but I think it's irrelevant for
further points.
2) Programming language
Proposal: pure Java 1.3.1x
Remarks: I know many of you are trying 1.4 out, but it
may still take some time to be able to be used for
production sites. Moreover, many open source
technologies were still not ported to 1.4. Correct me
if I'm wrong.
3) Application framework
Proposal: JBoss 3.x
Remarks: This is worth discussion, as many of you use
iPlanet or don't use any J2EE or related technologies
at all. I think JBoss is good for achieving
scallability for the site. What concrete parts of
JBoss are involved, is very OT here.
4) Business Logic Persistence
Proposal: Firebird RDBMS as JBoss service
Remarks: I personally think it is most evolved
open-source database now. The problem is, almost
nobody uses it, the JDBC driver is beta etc. Next good
candidate could be PostgreSQL - with more user
support, so maybe better solution. Any ideas?
5) Web container
Proposal: Jetty as JBoss service
Remarks: I know Tomcat is more used, but Jetty is
easier to be integrated into JBoss and both offer
similar if not same functionality. This is a point I
would like to discuss further.
6) Content Persistence
Proposal: stand-alone XIndice
Remarks: This component should be used only for
content without business logic, outside J2EE, for
example for simple static content editing templates
and external content syndicate subscription. Simply
for everything that's too light to be served by deep
application logic. Did anybody use it already? That's
a question.
7) Content Framework
Proposal: Cocoon, what else :)
Remarks: The task of Cocoon is to separate Logic from
Design, what it should be good at. I want to get more
detailed here: Starting with structured XSP,
xincluding or transforming (what is better?) parts of
final site together, using taglib logicsheets for
access to business logic that is delegated to J2EE
(did anybody here got it working?), other taglib for
content persistence and yet other for reused content
elements. The XSP should contain as little Java as
possible, all hrefs should be good organized with
sitemap and XForm could be used for user inputs (are
we so far?). XSP should somehow incorporate JAAS from
JBoss for user authorisation to access the documents
(anybody tried this?) The result of multiple
transformations is then complete site as XML, that is
further processed using XSLT to incorporate the design
and graphics and serialized to appropriate end format.
If possible, all the vector design elements should be
dynamically created using SVG (anybody?), page should
be somehow cacheable for better response times (???)
and the final result should be optimized for several
types of client (is DELI of use here?) and/or
serialized to PDF (do I expect too much?). The
workflow by creating the content can be following:
After initial discussion between involved parties,
dummy working XSP/XSL is/are created, possibly reusing
already available static elements from taglibs. Then,
database/J2EE developers work on filling it with
propper dynamic data, content writers type in
internationalized static texts and designers are
parallel creating more mature XSL, icons, SVG and thin
client customizations. Working adjustments are posted
to versioning system without injuring established
interfaces to other team members. Final version
emerges and the team could proceed to other page.
Seems like heaven to me, but is probably hell to
achieve. Or is similar optimized team workflow
available anywhere in this world?
8) Web frontend
Proposal: Apache
Remarks: This is only for security reasons - the task
of Apache is just to forward the requests. I think
more of you are using it, true?
9) Suporting Tools
XML editor: ??? (I use several or write the XML from
scratch)
XSL editor: ??? (Did not find good free one)
SVG editor: ??? (any free one available?)
Versioning: CVS (makes some trouble for JBoss)
Dev IDE: Eclicpse (I use JBuilder now but want to
switch)
Sitemap editor: Pollo (is there anything else?)
Project Management: PHPMyProject (or other web-based
solution?)
Database Management: ibMyAdmin (depending on DB, of
course)
Project Modeling: Poseidon CE (used to visualize the
business proccess, generating DB structure, EJB and
documentation from XMI is still not mature enough for
serious use in my eyes)
anything else you use?
Now, I got about 80% of above configuration working,
but have severe problems with integrating the rest.
I'm eager to share my experience with anybody who is
interested and even more eager to get the rest or
another worthy combination to work together. Many
times I feel like reinventing the wheel, or some
dreaded little problem of incompatibility makes me to
start again with other versions of components. I hope
I could find anybody to go through this hell with me
and then share the results for the community. There
are probably other people trying to achieve similar
environments, I would be happy to know about them and
their progress.
OK, I'd better stop now, this post got too long for
occupied open-source developer eyes.
Thank you in advance,
Feel free to mail me personally ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
if you think this list is not the propper place for
such a discussion,
Peter.

Möchten Sie mit einem Gruß antworten? http://grusskarten.yahoo.de